Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Hades is the Night Before a Big Project

At the beginning of the school year I agreed to make a salad for the teacher's pot luck the night of parent teacher conferences. A couple of weeks ago I also agreed to help my daughter make dolmades for the Greek Festival in her World Civilization class. I did not realize that the prep for those food items would be on the same night, nor did I realize that my daughter had a major presentation to do as part of the Greek Festival, nor did I realize that she had so much work left to do on it and would be frantically working and useless for food prep assistance.

It all got done. I did not go to the impromptu end of season pizza party for the soccer team, but I sent my soccer player. I did not plop on the couch and watch Monday Night Football, but I did have it on in the background. My stepdaughter did not have homework, so she offered to make the salad (couscous and veggies with olive oil and lemon juice) and Bill offered to chop and mix and help me roll dolmades. My daughter worked her sheepish butt off and got her report and presentation done. She got her costume together. And after a trip to the grocery store to get a pomegranate (I prayed the whole way - Please, dear God, or Persephone, or Zeus, or whoever, please, please, please let the market which is just blocks from my house have a pomegranate - they did!), Greek Festival was prepared for and the teachers will have their salad.

We loaded the crockpot with dolmades this morning and I helped her carry everything in. As I walked away from the school I felt nothing but relief.

My To Do List for tonight is daunting as well, but I will deal with that soon enough. I don't have to cook tonight since I have so many dolmades left over - enough to fill a Trojan horse. So stuffed grape leaves for the family. We leave for South Dakota in just a few days. I have 800 Billion Things To Do before then. But for now I will feel the relief of getting the crockpot to the Greek Festival and plugging it in and watching my daughter set it to the right temperature and the relief that they didn't get left at home, no one was late to school or work, and they made it safely to the class without it getting dropped and there was counter space to put the crockpot right by an outlet. Whew. I had no idea how much relief could come from plugging in a small appliance full of ethnic food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home