Saturday, November 25, 2006

Heaven. I'm in Heaven.

"Where did she get that dress?" asked one.

"What are those?" asked another.

"They're ostrich feathers," I said.

The movie was not something I planned. After a long Saturday out, I came home, flopped in bed and turned on Turner Classic Movies. The kids shuffled in and piled on the bed around me. I was not sure that they would like a black and white musical, but it was a huge hit.

The first scene in "Top Hat" is Fred Astaire in a stuffy men's club in London. He makes too much noise with his newspaper and when the grumpy old men glared, the kids twittered. When he left the club he did a loud tap dance on the marble floor while the old men in the club looked outraged. The kids whooped. I knew then that the movie was going to be ok.

The plot is a goofy mixed identity story that had the kids feeling like they were in the know since they knew who everyone really was. When the butler dressed as a gondolier fell in the canal I saw the exact moment that Frank figured it out. "Ha!" he said. "That's the butler!"

"It's like in that Shakespeare play with the brother and sister," said Anna.

"Twelfth Night?" I said.

"Yes. Where people are in love with people and don't know their true identity."

So just when I was feeling like "Top Hat" was an old movie, my daughter reminded me that theater was around long before anyone thought to put ostrich feathers on a ball gown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home