Thursday, December 14, 2006

John Lennon Was Friends With the Beatles

Once we were driving down the road listening to the radio and a program was on about the Beatles and the announcer talked about how Paul McCartney wrote the song "Hey, Jude" for John Lennon's son, whose parents were getting divorced.

"That was nice of the Beatles to do this song for him," Anna said.

"Yes," I said, kind of distracted.

"How did the Beatles know John Lennon's son?"

"Well, he was John Lennon's son," I said. And at this point I was a little confused.

"So was John Lennon like a friend of theirs?"

"Of whose?"

"Of the Beatles?"

"Honey, John Lennon WAS a Beatle."

"Oh," Anna said.

And she just kind of filed it away while I tried to figure out how in the world I had a 12 year old who knew exactly who John Lennon was and who the Beatles were but had no idea that John Lennon was actually a member of the Beatles.

Bill's daughter Claire once expressed surprise to learn that John Lennon was a musician and song writer. She's a big Yoko Ono fan. "Her husband was a musician too?" she asked me once.

I am not kidding you that I could fill a book about listening to music with kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home