Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Lincoln, Nebraska Rocks

I took the kids to see Styx at the Nebraska State Fair last night. It seemed like a good first rock show for the younger two - it was, you know, free with admission to the fair, and I already had tickets to the fair.

Frank is my classic rock kid. While the girls are more lyrics-oriented, Frank likes guitar solos and drums. He has "Mr. Roboto" on his MP3 player. I thought he would love it.

He felt sick to his stomach from the noise and he wanted to get out of the seating area because it was too loud. So we sat at a table outside the stage area and listened to the music. The girls went off to meet friends and get fried twinkies, and my son happily slurped a root beer float and sang along with "Come Sail Away" from the safety of the picnic area. The girls came back and we moved back into the crowd for the encore. We clapped and sang along to "Renegade" and Frank pointed out, with great concern, that he could feel the music vibrating through the concrete. Mary, the one who has always prefered Simon and Garfunkel, was hanging from the risers to get a better look at the stage and security came over and asked her to get down. My girl got in trouble with security at her first rock concert! I was so proud of her that I was beside myself. Actually I was beside Frank assuring him that the concrete was not going to split at any moment.

"That was awesome!" Mary said.

"That was loud!" Frank said.

"That was Styx?" Anna said. "I actually knew some of those songs."

"Nobody rocks like you, Lincoln, Nebraska!"

At least that's what Styx says.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home