Sunday, January 17, 2010

Gratuity Added

I remember the first time I ever ordered room service. I was pregnant. I was on a business trip with Anna who was three years old. I had hearings that day in North Platte and I brought Anna along with me for the trip. (She was going to a daycare while I went to work.)

So I was in a hotel room with a toddler and hungry and needing to get ready and get her ready. I saw the room service menu, immediately dismissed it, and then returned to the menu again. I stayed in hotels with my parents as a child and always read the room service menu but knew that it was too expensive and not necessary. I made a different decision that morning in North Platte. I picked up the phone, I ordered french toast and eggs, which were absolutely perfect. I remember the wonder of the crispy bacon and perfectly cooked french toast and little bitty syrup pitcher. It was like we were at home in that we did not have to deal with a restaurant first thing in the morning. I could drink my coffee and do my hair. Anna could watch "Arthur" and eat eggs with her fingers.

My love affair with room service began.

It's not like I get it every time, but I try to have room service at least once on a business trip and at least once on a trip with Bill. I have had room service dinners when I am traveling by myself, and I have to say that I think room service is at its best at breakfast. Eggs, toast and bacon. I pay extra for orange juice. I splurge on the large pot of coffee.

We had a weekend to ourselves and got a hotel room in Omaha and went out to eat and played Scrabble in a coffee shop and went to a movie. We also, at my great pleasure, ordered room service breakfast. It was not a break from the snow and ice (Omaha seemed to have it worse than us), but it was a break from our house and the kids and the pets and the stuff you do or feel like you have to do when you are home.

My talisman from this trip is a wee little Tabasco bottle that came on the room service tray as a potential condiment for my eggs. I cooed and put it in my purse. It is sitting next to me on my bedside table at home and reminding me that good things sometimes come in small packages as compliments to overpriced food with automatically added gratutity and service fees.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You two deserve it.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Jodi Anderson said...

You know, I'm not sure if I've ever ordered room service! I can't hardly believe it. I generally send Rob for breakfast from whatever restaurant is on site.

I like your note of the Tabasco bottle. The last time we had a hotel vacation, I wanted toast and coffe, and the $4 toast came with a jar of jam. A. JAR. OF. JAM. Not full-full size, but definitely two weeks worth of breakfast.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Lea said...

That's it, Jodi. At Animae Iowa Con this summer I am going to come down to your room some morning, sit on your bed, and order some toast and coffee. We should probable meet at least once in person before I barge into your room wearing my nightie, I spose...

8:00 PM  
Blogger Viewtiful_Justin said...

Oooh. Splurge away. I'ven ever done that. We've ordered Chinese takeout and had it delivered to the room before, but never room service.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I dream the list inform should acquire more info then it has.

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home