Sunday, October 31, 2010

Customer Service

Florida Wins.

I don't know what it was exactly - the time of year (late October - not a lot of tourists) or concern about their reputation from the oil spill (the beaches were pristine - not ones that were actually harmed, but there are a lot of misperceptions out there, I think). In some ways it reminded me a bit of my trip to New Orleans in the spring after Hurricane Katrina (that was great customer service, too). I had my kids with me (they were on Fall Break) and the kids were the object of much of our special attention. I think they were a bit of a rarity at this time of year?

From the moment we got our rental car (upgraded to a Mustang convertible by the charming man at National Car Rental who wanted my kids to "travel in style"), we were treated well. "Well don't you all look good," said the woman at the parking garage as we pulled into the Florida sun with the top down.

To my surprise I had no trouble navigating the Miami interstate and highways. We drove along the coast and I found our hotel in South Beach easily.

Even better than Miami was the Keys. We were given beach suggestions by our waitress in Islamorada right down to the mile marker. Those of us driving yielded to pedestrians and bikes at a leisurely pace. No one was in a hurry. We went through a drive thru one night coming back from sunset on the beach and the fast food worker smiled at us as he gave us our Frostys and said, "Having a good vacation?" Seriously?! I usually consider it good service at a drive thru to get a grunt and have the food tossed directly in the car. :-)

Frank found a coconut on the beach and cracked it open with a piece of coral. A man stopped to help him pull it apart finally and suggested that I take Frank to "Ana's" later in the day for a coconut. "$3 and they'll open it for you," he advised me as he gave me brief directions.

The elderly Cuban men at the coffee stand were horrified when they realized that I was behind them and they put their order on hold so I could get my coffee ("Un cafe cubano, por favor.") first. I was charmed. "Gracias." "De nada," I was assured.

I think what I liked the most is that the interaction was perfect. It was genuine and it did not last too long. The man helping Frank with the coconut for example was helpful and polite and went on his way. It was also very consistent throughout Southern Florida. I have traveled across the country and never quite felt this type of hospitality. It felt worth noting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home