Saturday, August 21, 2010

12 Cassettes for One Cent

The first album I ever bought on my own was Michael Jackson's "Thriller." I used my paper route money. I rode my bike to the TG&Y by the mall and bought the record, which I played over and over. Shortly thereafter I subscribed to Columbia House and with the freedom that comes from lots of cheap music, I branched out and tried all kinds of stuff. And I remember the suggestions. "Do you like REM? Then you might like U2," Columbia House suggested. I bought all four of their albums without hearing as much as a sample. I listened to music over and over on my yellow Sony cassette Walkman as I walked around town to the library or school or delivering papers.

Anyway, I thought of those days this morning as I sampled and bought music on itunes. I have a couple of sites that I follow for suggestions and I like it that I can listen to the music before buying it. Sometimes I buy albums, but I have also succumbed to the trend of buying one song or two songs, but not the whole album. And I like it that itunes suggests songs for me. It's a great way to find new music. (Though nothing will ever top the colossal recommendation of U2 since I liked REM. And it's not as if I still listen to their stuff, but it was just important music for me for a long time. It felt like they knew what was in my 15 year old girl in Nebraska's head, like THAT makes sense. I think everyone has one of those life changing band moment things.)

So. Two new play lists came from some new music. One is for hooping and the other is for my new dance class. And in my case, the girl who "likes U2 and REM" turned into a woman who "likes electronic Balkan music." Music recommendation is an art and not a science.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home