Thursday, October 11, 2007

Which Of These Kids Is Not Like The Other?

I have a little camera on the top of my computer at work now so that I can meet by video with clients in rural offices and do trainings and meet with my supervisees. It's supposed to give more humane-ness to those types of contacts.

I keep turning it on, and when I do a screen pops up in front of me and I see myself. It is strange to look at yourself. Do you look the way you think you look? What does that even mean? But a part of me is surprised when I see myself on video or pictures. It is different than a mirror.

I drove Anna to school this morning and she whined most of the way about her thick, wavy blonde hair. Wah, wah, wah. I mean, cripes, this kid has Barbie hair and all she can do is complain about it. "It's so big and yellow and I want brown hair like you and straight hair like Claire..." Blah, blah, blah. And I listen and assure her that her hair is beautiful and that many women would kill for her hair and endure lots of beauty processes to get hair like hers. She sighs and tries to pat her hair down.

I wish I could let her see herself the way I see her. I am not sure that I want to see myself the way she sees me though. I bet I look older to her then I look to myself on my video camera.

It's opening night for Hannah's play. She is a cheerleader in "The Three Musketeers." Yeah. So if you want to see her sigh and screw up her face, ask her why there is a cheerleader in the "The Three Musketeers."

I ordered her a Texas homecoming corsage for her cheerleading costume. The florist kind of recoiled when I showed her what I wanted. She scaled it down a bit. Three Nebraska-sized mums with black ribbon. I had it sent to school and I hope they let her wear it the rest of the day. Or that she wants to wear it. I'm kind of going out on a limb here, but I wanted to surprise her and cheer her up about this part in the play that she doesn't like so much. She works really hard at drama and so far has not gotten the roles that she wants. But she sticks with it and does whatever her drama teacher asks of her. I'm proud of her. I wish she could see herself the way I see her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home