Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Peanut Butter Fudge and Christmas Cards

I do very few things to "get ready for the holidays." I keep meaning to get out the North Pole Village for the kids, but I haven't done that yet. Nor have I gotten out my Christmas Fiestaware dishes. Plenty of time.

The kids and I have been working on some crafts to give as gifts. One of the crafts we did was homemade Christmas cards and envelopes. I loved them. Mary made the stamps for the cards and helped me cut and fold the envelopes. I addressed and mailed them on Monday. And on Tuesday they started coming back. They're not the right size for the postal service, I guess. I am not sure what I am going to do. I need to see how many stamps got canceled. I may buy bigger envelopes (which ruins the whole recycled homemade envelope idea) and take them all into the post office and beg forgiveness for not using the right size envelope. I might just toss all of my attempted Christmas cheer in the trash. (Do you see what happens when I try to be traditional and Christmas-y and cheery?!)

The kids and I made peanut butter fudge last night, which is an amazing concoction. I am not a fudge person, but I love that stuff. I boxed the fudge up this morning for teacher gifts and office cookie trays and I ate a piece for breakfast. Mmmm. Peanut butter fudge.

"Are you ready for the holidays?" people ask me.

"Yeah, sure. I need to remail my Christmas cards and stop eating fudge for breakfast. I need to set up the North Pole Village and get out my Christmas dishes." But that's the superficial stuff, isn't it. No one really cares if I am ready for Christmas in a spiritual way. I struggle with that in a pretty hard core way and take it more seriously than most, perhaps, which is why it bothers me so.

I slipped down an unscooped sidewalk in the park last night on a "run" with the dog which amounted to us running when possible and walking when not possible. The ice is pretty scary which makes going out fun in a sort of sick way. It felt good to be out in the cold with her though and I enjoy seeing her absolute joy at being outside in the snow and with me and having no doubt that nothing could make her any happier at that moment than bounding through the snow at my side. That is how I want so desperately to feel - full of love and acceptance and peace - for everyone, even the Postal Service. It's how most of us try to feel at Christmas. The mistake that we make is that we try to achieve that feeling by buying stuff and decorating stuff and baking stuff.

Peanut butter fudge comes pretty close to making me feel that way, but not as much as my goofy, goofy dog. I needed her reminder of that feeling last night. I will stack the Christmas cards as they get returned and then I will take Sadie for a run in a snowy park before I decide what to do with them. I think it's more likely that they will reach their intended destinations that way.



"Peanut Butter Fudge? Is dog treat for me?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home