Friday, November 16, 2007

Wish I May, Wish I Might

I was awake before the alarm went off this morning, so it was easy for me to get up and out of the house with the dog and we left for our walk almost an hour earlier than usual. For the first time since Daylight Savings Time, it was dark when we went out. I wore two sweatshirts and a jacket with a stocking cap under my hoodie. My cheeks felt cool, but it was a good cool - the kind that feels like perfect fall and reminds you how nice it is to be warm. The moonless night/morning was dark and the stars were bright and filled the sky. They caught me by surprise and I tried to remember the last time I have seen the stars so bright. The coolness makes them brighter.

The dog and I crunched through the leaves in the dark and I suddenly I saw a shooting star.

A wish! I wish that I can feel the way I feel right now all the time and forever.

I felt warmed with happiness - as if there really was a burning star in my pocket.

But as I walked further, the thoughts that caused me to be awake before the alarm went off came back and wrestled around with the star in my pocket. Falling stars are really meteors and not stars. And of course you can't feel warm and cool and happy and cozy and perfect all the time. You really shouldn't wish for things that you can't have. But it was really and truly the first thought that came into my head when I thought of a wish and while I can't feel that way all the time, I can feel that way sometimes and my real wish is that I remember that those moments come. Even on mornings that you are awake since you can't sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home