Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Breaking Balls and Bathroom Breaks

In the top of the fifth inning, two outs, Frank playing Second Base, it suddenly became obvious to me that he had to go to the bathroom. He was grabbing his crotch and bouncing. Then he began encouraging the pitcher by saying, "Throw a strike! I really need to go to the bathroom!"

The pitcher threw a nice ball through the middle and the nine year old batter made contact. The ball went to Center Field and the runner decided to go for second. My son put his foot on Second Base, caught a short toss from the Center Fielder, tagged the runner, and the inning was blissfully over. He ran for the restroom.

When he got back, he was on deck to hit and I noticed a small wet spot on his crotch. I don't think he made it the whole way to the bathroom.

He got a walk and then eventually stole home. His run was the only run that his team had last night.

So to sum up, got an out, got a run, and wet his pants. That is a great night of Little League, I tell ya.

This morning on the sports page there was a big story about Joba Chamberlain who is starting tonight as a pitcher for the Yankees. Joba is, of course, Frank's favorite player. Frank's breakfast conversations are always sports focused and they usually involve statistics or players that I don't know. He's also the only person in the house that is what I would call alert in the morning. He will often try and engage people in a conversation about the 1932 World Series or the difference between pitches or speculation about Satchel Paige, or just crazy grandiose statements about the Yankees or his favorite players. He is correct about 75% of the time. Usually I am too groggy to understand half of what I am being asked about.

"Joba starts tonight," I said when I handed the sports section to my son.

His face lit up and he read the article and predicted a no hitter.

So good luck tonight, Joba. I know one eight year old in Lincoln who is willing you to a no hitter. I'm a mom, so all I can think of when I see that a 22 year old from Lincoln (so young!) is the starting pitcher tonight for the Yankees is, I hope he doesn't pee his pants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home