Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Immigration Hosts

"You guys look so nice this morning, can I get a picture of the two of you?"

"I'm proud of you, Franklin."
"I didn't do anything, Mom."

I did not expect to cry, but when the kids came into the church in their processional, they were an amazing combination of child and adult and I felt overwhelmed by their youth and possibilities. They each possessed confidence that shone through at the same time with nervousness.

Our church has many different immigrant groups. The white kids are the minority, actually. I see a charming formality and piousness in new immigrant groups. The girls' dresses were incredible. Floor length. Rhinestone tiaras. Huge veils. The boys were in suits, not just sport coats and khakis. They carried their prayer books and rosaries and posed for pictures with a seemingly endless supply of family members who wanted to get their picture taken with the First Communion child in front of the Virgin Mary.

We're a little more casual. After our traditional family pictures (I won't even post the one that someone took of the half eaten cake), we went out for spaghetti and Mary had a soccer game.

I wonder about my Irish Catholic ancestors, who were once immigrants and wonder how they dressed their kids for First Communion. (Incidentally, it reminds me of the only time that I ever met an Irish Protestant. When I commented on that, he joked, "Why would the Protestants leave Ireland?")

This is a free country and you can be any religion you want and raise your children in any religion you want. I feel grateful and overwhelmed by that. We create our own traditions and ceremonies and I have tried to help the children understand that this is part of who they are and will always be, and by that I just mean it is part of the ritual and memory of their childhood, like it is for so many. They can do with it what they want. And although Mary wore a dress that she claims that she hates, I did not make her wear a floor length gown and a tiara. I don't think there is enough spaghetti in the world for me to bribe her with to get her into something like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home