Thursday, December 02, 2010

The Ministry of Embarrassing Laughs

Last night I took Mary and Frank to Spamalot. We didn't have tickets or anything, I just walked in an hour before the show and scooped up some amazing seats just by asking. The kids and I had dinner at Panera and then walked to the show in the bitter cold. Ah. (Seriously, going to the theater in the summer just doesn't seem right some how.)

So my original blog title was going to be "Broadway in Nebraska." We had primo seats in the section where the season ticket holders sit. These are the folks that come to (nearly) every show, even when they aren't familiar with the show. Many of those in our section had never seen Monty Python before (no, really). The couple behind us were a bit surprised by the first half.

"Well that was different," said the husband.

"It's not South Pacific," the wife noted in a disappointed voice.

And then the second half started and Patsy sang "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" with an umbrella tap dance just like in "Singin' in the Rain," and I started laughing and laughing. And apparently it wasn't as funny to everyone else, because I was the only one laughing. And then I could not stop. Everytime I thought I had it under control something else would happen, like the men's chorus came out and joined him with twirling umbrellas and I started laughing again.

Mercifully the scene changed and I was no longer the only person laughing. That scene was really was the only point where other people weren't joining me laughing.

At home after the show I let the dog out, and by the time I got back to the kitchen, Mary and Frank were already telling the story of their mom's embarassing laugh to Bill.

"There was this one part where no one was laughing except for Mom," Frank explained.

"Yeah, it really wasn't that funny, but she just kept laughing and laughing," Mary added.

"And then she stops for a minute and you think she's done and then she starts laughing again," Bill said.

"Yes!" Mary and Frank said.

"And everyone was looking at us!" Mary said.

"Since your mom was laughing so hard," Bill added.

"And she laughs so loud and so weird," Frank said.

"I've been there," Bill said.

They all bonded over my embarassing laugh. Sigh.

"Just remember that the last laugh is on you!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you remember how much you laughed at that Swedish/Norwegian/Finnish/whatever movie (now I wish I could remember the name....) with the funny man in the little trailer that was observing people - and how mad the person in front of us got - and how you didn't care because the movie was not in English and your laughing was not keeping him from understanding the dialogue? I remember this much better than the movie. I guess that's a tribute to your laugh!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Lea said...

Ah, that would be "Kitchen Stories." The movie poster hangs in our kitchen. Norwegians are hilarious! ;-)

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home