Thursday, February 21, 2013

Oscars!

Best Picture - Everyone says it will be "Argo."  I liked "Django," Mary's pick was "Beasts of the Southern Wild."  Frank liked "Life of Pi."

Best Actor - Probably Daniel Day-Lewis and that's my pick, too.

Best Actress - I think it is going to go to Jennifer Lawrence, but my favorite was Jessica Chastain in "Zero Dark Thirty" (wow!).  I think the age difference between Emmanuelle Riva (in her 70s) and Quvenzhane Wallis (7 years old) is adorable.  I predict lots of great photo ops with those two.

Supporting Actor - Robert De Niro was great in "Silver Linings Playbook" and I think he'll win.  I think Tommy Lee Jones might be the Academy's pick if they don't go with "Lincoln" for everything else (I think it got nominated for 11 things?).

Supporting Actress - I think it should be Sally Field who was magnificent as Mary Todd Lincoln.  It will probably go to Anne Hathaway who is young, beautiful and has a dream!  :-)

Adapted Screenplay - I think this should go to Life of Pi.  I thought Ang Lee did an amazing job with the script (which is Best Director, not Adapted Screenplay, I know).  This movie is beautiful and did an excellent job with the metaphors (my bookclub rather famously debated the existence of the tiger).

Original Screenplay - This should go to Quentin Tarantino who writes the best dialogue since Woody Allen.  That said, Zero Dark Thirty probably has a better chance of winning.  I know that this was a somewhat controversial movie, but it was well done and did a good job discussing very difficult issues.  I also think that this movie was visually beautiful (again, that's a director award).

This was one of the better years for Best Movies.  I was happy with every one of them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I question whether the best pic should be awarded for talent and creativity, or just pure entertainment value. My pic for best pic: Skyfall!

-Me

11:18 AM  
Blogger Lea said...

Agreed! We loved Skyfall.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home