Sunday, January 07, 2007

Wallpaper Ghosts

The kids and I spent a lot of time and effort scraping wallpaper off my son's bedroom wall. As we worked I thought, for the first time, about the person who selected the light blue paper with the tiny floral print. I imagine that she is dead by now. I decided that she was a 50 year old woman at the time she picked the paper. I pictured her with short hair and trim hips. When she thought she pursed her lips and pushed them out. This was her sitting room or perhaps the spare bedroom.

We spend so much time and effort making choices in life - relationships, careers, meal planning, home decorating, and many choices are affected by outside sources that we have no control over. And you just never know when someone is going to come along with some warm water, a scraper and a little elbow greese.

Grey and blue walls. Red accents - a red reading chair and red comforters for the bunkbed. Bill and I are already thinking about the changes we will make in room assignments as the kids get older and eventually we intend to use the room for our home office. I can picture my son in his bedroom after it is done. I can picture Bill and myself in our office after my son has moved to a more private room. I struggle to picture the people who will come after us and I wonder if they will think about us and wonder why we chose blue and grey for the walls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home