Thursday, January 03, 2008

Guitars and Cadillacs

I can smell reconciliation. When I drove to my hearing this morning I kinda thought that my client was back together with her husband. She dropped the Protection Order two weeks ago. I figured they were just seeing each other. I learned in the hallway outside the courtroom that they are actually living together. That's fine. I don't care. Really and truly I do not care. Just let me know. I do care that I got up early, revised an affidavit a few times, drove all the way to this little town and now I feel like an idiot.

About the little Nebraska town I was in this morning -

1. Casey's has good coffee. They also make donuts and pizza on site and they are yummy. If there is a double chocolate donut in the donut case, then I will buy it, I thought to myself as I got coffee. There was. I still didn't buy it. My self control is impressing me today. We'll see how long that lasts.

2. The farm supply store has coveralls on sale for 30% off. I nearly stopped to get a jacket to match my overalls. They are comfy. And warm.

3. I knew that Dwight Yoakum would be on the end aisle. And there he was with his impossibly long legs and tight jeans with his head tucked under a hat. Oh, Dwight. Something about driving Nebraska highways and stopping at the Casey's makes me want to listen to country music. Sometimes I try country radio, but most of the country music on the radio is crappy. Not like Dwight. "Dwight Sings Buck" is fun - Dwight and his band cover Buck Owens songs - that goofy, sad, honky tonk country music that reminds me of Nebraska highways.

It was not lost on me that the relationship I witnessed today was an awful lot like a honky tonk song. I bought the CD and moaned like a lap steel guitar all the way home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home