Monday, January 21, 2008

I Have a Dream

This is one of my favorite holidays. A good family dinner reminded me why. Stir fried veggies, rice and pork tenderloin. Apple crisp in place of birthday cake for Dr. King. A kind-of argument about Thomas Jefferson, a discussion of a 17 year old girl's right to vote in the primaries, and a recollection of my second favorite Martin Luther King Jr. Day Memory ("You have more than one?" Bill teased me.).

"When Martin Luther King was president..." Frank once started saying.

"Honey, Martin Luther King was never the President," I said.

"Oh," he said, unphased. And then he said whatever it is that he set out to say. I don't know what it was. I was so overwhelmed with happiness that I had raised a son who thought that a black man could be President of the United States, that I could not listen.

And here we are with the 2008 primaries - a woman and a black man who could be a real candidate for President (did you know that the first female candidate for President ran before 1920? Before women had the right to vote?!). This primary overwhelms me. Partly because I dislike both of them, but partly because I recognize how significant this year really is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home