Monday, October 13, 2008

Best Christopher Columbus Day Ever

We celebrated Christopher Columbus Day by making a Mappo Mundo of Lincoln, Nebraska. The idea is that you use old style map making skills - scale doesn't matter - directions don't matter - reality doesn't matter.

You can see the inclusion of a covered wagon. Historical references were often included in maps.

This was my addition. Beige Land. My son drew a maze in the middle and I added some looping roads. It says "Trail - Lane -Ridge -Circle - But No Streets." Bahaha. I crack myself up with my superiority. In reality? That part of town is as scary to me as a sea of sea monsters. For real.

Bill cut out running shoes and had them run from our house to the lake near our house. Our house is guarded by our cats - drawn larger than life - now a tiger and a panther.

The football stadium, and Natural History Museum. Also our favorite park with lots of Wii folks doing their fitness routines. The black circles are a chain. The high school mascot is "The Links."

And what Columbus Day is complete without spaghetti and meatballs? This is my traditional Columbus Day dinner. I may start shaking it up and serve paella next year in honor of Queen Isabella. Or Chicken Tikka. You know. Since Chris thought he made it to India. Ha!

I love this holiday. It can be whatever you want it to be. That's why I love it. Fun and no stress. Oh yeah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home