Sunday, October 05, 2008

Mother Knows Best

On Friday I saw a vintage clothing sale on the sidewalk and saw a beautiful emerald green dress. It had a fitted, shirred bust and a wide, long skirt. I knew that it would look perfect on Anna, who has been begging me to take her shopping for a homecoming dress. It was $2. I knew that it was not what she had in mind, but I also knew that she didn't quite understand her figure or coloring yet. If I could get her to try it on she would be sold, I knew.

"Green?" she said when she saw it. (Say, "cat shit?" in your head to hear the proper tone.)

"Just try it on," I said.

She rolled her eyes and huffed off to change. She twirled out. She could not stop smoothing the skirt or bouncing or checking herself out in the mirror. She looked like a beauty queen. The bright green with her pale skin, blonde hair and big blue eyes was striking. The cut of the dress was perfect. The high waist and full skirt were very flattering.

"I wanted a shorter dress," she said looking down at the floor length skirt.

"I could shorten it. It would still look great."

"No!" she said. And she twirled around the room.

Heh. And besides, with a floor length dress you can wear your Converse tennis shoes (SO much better for dancing) and no one will even know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home