Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Do You Remember T-Rex?

Bill noted that it is not so much the cold as it is the possibility that the wind may drive a piece of straw through your ear and kill you. The wind is that strong and crazy.

I feel like hibernating. Shuffling around in yoga pants and slippers, laying under comforters reading and watching movies. Instead we have finals week for the kids and hearings and trials for me and Bill. I drag myself out of bed and drag the kids out of bed.

Despite my hibernation instinct, I have been day dreaming about hula hooping in the park. Ha! I can hardly motivate myself to take the hoops to the YMCA in this cold.

Last night at 9pm, enough was enough. I put TRex on the stereo and moved the dining room table.

"What are you doing?" my kids asked.

"Hooping," I said.

It worked. I felt better. I still had to drag myself out of my cave, I mean bed, this morning, but an impromtu hoop jam to some classic rock last night was just the thing. I was so warm I was even sweating by the time I was done.

My winters often have musical themes. It is often music that I have listened to before, but new meanings are revealed to me as I listen to the same song over and over and over. One winter I liked to take super hot tubs and listen to Bob Dylan. One winter I liked to write and listen to Tom Waits. This winter my soundtrack is The Ramones. And I hoop in my dining room.

I think about the pioneers and try to imagine living here on the prairie without a house of wood and stucco with glass windows to keep the wind and cold at bay. I cannot imagine how they managed without a stereo.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These past two blogs have been great.
I think Bill's comment about the wind blowing so hard that it drives a piece of straw through your ear is a great image. That's probably where the term "straw crazy" comes from.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Jodi Anderson said...

I don't know if you've seen my past blog posts about T.Rex and Marc Bolan or not (4+ years ago), but I am a lifelong fan. My mom played the albums frequently when I was growing up. It's nice to know that I'm not the only person (my age) that has listened to and likes their music.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home