Monday, January 05, 2009

Court Four

Chided by my son who reminded me, "Mom, you promised.", we made a quick dash to the YMCA yesterday evening even though we were expecting company and had a few chores to complete before they got there.

I fumbled for the YMCA cards. The desk clerk looked quizically with me and my giant hula hoop and my son with his baseball glove. "Are you going to use the gym?" she asked with concern, "Because we have a basketball tournament in there tonight."

"No. Not the gym." I smiled and handed her our membership cards and she scanned them. She watched us walk to the elevator.

On the fifth floor of the downtown YMCA is a maze of hallways connecting racquetball courts. Racquetball seems to have fallen out of favor in recent years. The courts are frequently completely empty. Last night there was a lone game going on in Court One. We followed the hallway to Court Four, our favorite and Frank played catch with himself off the wall while I hula hooped.

It is hard to be a summer sport in Nebraska in January.

After 30 minutes of "court time," we took the elevator back down and walked past the confused desk clerk.

"Have a good night!" she called after us.

"You too!" we said.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jodi Anderson said...

Ahhh, perfect.

While I adore winter, and won't even leave the house once it hits mid-80s, I do find myself challenged to get as much exercise as I usually do during the time between those two extremes. Indoor stuff gets so redundant. I'd like to go for a nice hike right about now.

Okay, well, I would go for a nice hike (single digits today!) today if it weren't for this dratted sprained ankle. ;)

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home