Sunday, February 22, 2009

Another Movie Blog

I came home from the movie and found Bill and his friend Eric smoking cigars on the porch.

"You bought the soundtrack, didn't you," Bill said smiling at the bag in my hands.

I nodded.

"What was with the song and dance number at the end?" Eric asked.

I thought everyone knew that Slumdog Millionaire is Bollywood. It's the only reason I was ok with the completely sappy ending. I'm pretty notorious for hating those. I think it's formulaic and contrived. I hated Beautiful Life.

If you're going to do it, then just do it. Give into it and make it ridiculous.

Several of my favorite movies this year have realistic, not necessarily HAPPY endings. The Wrestler and The Visitor stand out. I was ready to be disappointed by a stupid and unrealistic ending. I was pleasantly surprised by better writing and better acting than I expected.

I knew how Slumdog Millionaire ended story-wise. And even if I didn't know it walking in? I knew it as soon as the first question appeared. "D. It is his destiny." It's a movie in INDIA, yeah?!

I sat back and enjoyed the movie. Everything in his life led him to this one moment. Duh. Hasn't anyone ever seen a movie made in Mumbai before? :-)

And yeah, I will cut this movie slack that I did not cut for Beautiful Life (or insert dorky Hollywood movie ending here - that's just my most notoriously hated movie). I am still on record as disliking that movie.

I blame my hatred of "Hollywood" endings on my parents. My parents would not let me watch Officer and the Gentlemen when it came out since I was too young. But I distinctly remember them calling me into the TV room of my aunt and uncle's house when the movie was on HBO to watch the ending. Richard Gere comes in to Debra Winger's work place and carries her out while her coworkers applaud. My mom was crying. My dad had a goofy look on his face. I was confused. They wanted to share this great moment with me without letting me know the background. And even now as an adult who can see any movie I want, I find myself looking around the theater at the end of the movie as other adults cry and look goofy and I just don't feel it.

But today? Anna and I sat in the theater after Slumdog Millionaire. Tears streamed down my face. Anna stood up at the start of the credits. I saw the star crossed lovers stand between the trains. I saw the chorus line up behind them. I touched her arm. Why didn't anyone tell me about this?!

They sealed the deal with a Bollywood song and dance number.

Of course I bought the soundtrack.

4 Comments:

Blogger Viewtiful_Justin said...

Well, that clinches it. Now I HAVE to see that movie.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Jodi Anderson said...

Always the naysayer, I understood that the film was very NOT Bollywood, and that the ending was for contrast and a nod to Bollywood.

Doesn't matter. I loved the movie when I saw it; I'm so glad that it did so well last night and in general.


Enjoy the CD!!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Lea said...

Well, don't take me too literally. By calling something Bollywood I am talking about a fatalistic storyline with star crossed lovers. Also, when the brothers get thrown from the train and roll off years older? Classic Bollywood. The unbelievable, happy ending - classic Bollywood. The song and dance number at the credits didn't make it Bollywood - the STORY did. The song and dance was icing.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Lori "The Soil Whisperer" Guenter said...

Ok. Now I have to go see it too. Do I get to hear the soundtrack???

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home