Saturday, February 21, 2009

"I'd like to thank the Academy..."

I went to Blockbuster a couple of years ago and tried to rent a movie without knowing the title. I was one of those people.

"Hi. I'm looking for a movie with a one word title that has Mickey Rourke in it," I said to a kid in a Blockbuster shirt.

"Mickey Rourke?" the kid said to me with a puzzled face. "Um. I'm not sure that I know who that is," he said apologetically. "Brian!" he called across the store. Brian turned to look at us.

"She's looking for a one word movie that has um, Mickey Rourke?, in it," the kid said.

"Diner?" Brian suggested.

"Oh! Diner! Yeah, sorry, it's not that. I think the movie is about meth?" I said.

"Oh! That's Spun," Brian said confidently. "Mickey Rourke is brilliant in that."

Brian was of course correct about both the movie I wanted that I didn't know the name of and that Mickey Rourke was brilliant in Spun. I think that the Brians of the world should get differential pay for their vast movie knowledge. There's usually one in every movie rental store.

I saw The Wrestler last night with Bill and loved, loved, loved it. The ending was perfect. Mickey Rourke was brilliant. He's been brilliant since Diner. Someone should give him an award or something. Mostly I am just happy with a Hollywood movie that doesn't have a Hollywood ending. There should be an award for that, too. And while we're handing out awards, we should award the movie rental place employees of the world who figure out what movie people want when they don't even know the title.

2 Comments:

Blogger Viewtiful_Justin said...

I feel like that when I go into a bookstore. "Umm...I think it's called 100 Pieces for the Left Hand? No? Right hand? 20 Pieces? Oh, forget it. What are the cool kids reading these days?"

8:16 AM  
Blogger Jodi Anderson said...

I am totally bummed that I'm not going to be able to fit in The Wrestler before the Oscars tomorrow night.

My first internet addiction was imdb.com, so I'm never without the title. ;)

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home