Thursday, January 15, 2009

Smoke Break

It's been tense as Anna studies for her first high school finals. After we dropped off Mary, we shared some terse words and she was pretty upset with me.

"You need to relax before your test," I said a few blocks from the school. "It's not worth it to stay upset and then blow the test that you studied for."

"I know, Mom. Don't you think I know that?" she said.

We pulled up to the circle drive and I noticed that even in the subzero temperatures that the usual group was huddled under the tree by the parking lot having a cigarette before school.

"Maybe you should have a cigarette," I suggested in an offhand tone.

"What?!" she said. She turned to look at me. "Are you serious?"

"Well, people have a cigarette to relax, is all. I am sure those kids would share a cigarette with you. I believe the term is 'bum a smoke.'" My mouth twitched and gave me away. I smiled. She smiled back. And just like that, the tension broke.

"You're crazy!" she said laughing.

"I am crazy. Don't let me catch you smoking, or you'll see how crazy I can get!" I threatened with a stern face.

"You're crazy!" she said again with a smile.

"Have a good day," I said.

"You too," she said.

I need the semester to be over. I am running thin here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jodi Anderson said...

Life, especially at this age, is so full of lovely contrasts.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Lori "The Soil Whisperer" Guenter said...

You are such a lawyer. Who else would think of something so inappropriate to say to a teen and get what she wanted in the process?

*applause*

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home