Sunday, February 28, 2010

Too Many Notes

It was not their first opera, but it was their first opera at the Orpheum and it was really special to me. I was crying before the opera even began.

It was a complicated morning - picking up the girls from their dad and Frank from Boy Scout Camp and getting them all dressed for the opera and making it to Omaha by noon. (It was actually more like 12:30 by the time we got to the restaurant where we met our friends.) I dropped them off at the front door while I parked and managed to get the last spot in the lot one block from the Orpheum. I cruised through the door as they were closing them. I scurried to Orchestra C (ORCHESTRA! BEST SEATS I HAVE EVER HAD!!!!!) and saw the backs of their heads. I teared up.

We talked about it on the way to the car. The same silly miscommunications and games that still show them selves in TV sitcoms. The kids and I went up into the balcony to see the forte piano in the orchestra pit. We talked about the music and singing and Italian.

"I think it had too many notes," Frank said wryly. We all laughed. (That's the review that the Emporer gives Mozart in the movie "Amadeus.")

My kids and I have inside jokes about opera.

Life is good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Viewtiful_Justin said...

That's amazing.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home