Sunday, February 06, 2011

What's the Difference Between and Eccentricity and a Bad Habit?

I have a huge old tub, but it is attached to the wall on one side. In the tub in my head though, I have one of these. (You can click on the link if you want to see the bath rack.)

I got into the habit of reading in the tub when I was in my early teens. In those days a book a day was nothing. If I didn't have much going on I could easily read two books a day. I would read as I walked to and from the library. I would read laying on my back on the merry go round. I would read on the porch swing and at the lake on the beach and on the couch and in bed and, I would read in the tub. It's still one of my favorite places to read.

I will lay in the tub until the water cools. Sometimes I get out, but sometimes I just add more hot water. I am most likely to read in the tub when the weather is cold out. I love a hot, steamy bathroom with a closed door.

I have dropped books in the tub, but it doesn't happen often. And now that I have a Kindle, I take the Kindle in the tub. I put it in a giant ziploc bag when I do that, but I do take it in the tub with me.

Books last me a lot longer these days. I have a job, kids, pets, hobbies, repeat, and I don't have entire days to lounge around reading. I have been reading my February book club book for a couple of weeks now and wanted to finish it Friday night, but fell asleep with a few chapters left to go. Saturday morning I got up, took care of the animals, ran a tub, and finished it before leaving for my morning dance class. The water cooled as I cried over the perfectness of the ending (Major Pettigrew's Last Stand). I was glad to be in the tub so I could put the book aside and think about the ending for a few minutes as I soaked. I held a washcloth to my face, and then pulled myself out of my lukewarm tub, left the steamy bathroom, and rejoined the world.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes me longer to read books now too. Not as much time, like you. But I read two at at time. One hardcover for the couch. The other paperback for travel, coffeeshops, and car waiting.-Captain

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home