Friday, May 18, 2007

My Dog Ate My Camera

My Nikon SLR camera.

(This was before I became a dog kennel person. I think I bought the kennel the day after the dog ate my camera. It has cut down on the personal property damage and the hacking caused by plastic consumption. She didn't like the kennel at first - and it was hard for me the first few times I left and put her in it - but we've gotten used to it now and she goes in easily and doesn't whine and we are both happier - anyway, this is not about her kennel.)

I bought the camera about 6 years ago. I broke it almost immediately when I put it on a tripod to take a family portrait in a park in Kansas and the wind gusted through and knocked my tripod over with the camera on it. It busted the back cover so that the latch didn't work anymore. I took it in to be repaired, but the cost of the repair was estimated at a couple hundred dollars. I opted for duct tape. I would put the film in, push down on the latch that didn't latch anymore and then close the back and tape it shut. The film would load. I didn't notice any leaking light in the pictures, which was my main concern, so I got by that way for years.

So I had the camera out to get some pictures at soccer (I use it mainly for kid shots - I have a telephoto lens that I use for sports.) and left it on the piano when I went out again later that evening. While I was gone, the dog ate it. She chewed the strap and she chewed the tape off the back so the door came open and then she chewed the door and the body of the camera so that the door wouldn't shut right anymore even with the tape.

I threw it away.

I have looked at digital SLR cameras and the cost is prohibitive to me. So I looked at film SLRs on ebay and the cost has gone down a lot. People are selling their film cameras to buy digital cameras. Bill emailed me a link to a replacement camera with the observation that it cost less than a bag of dog food.

Ha.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home