Monday, July 30, 2007

All The Lonely People

I think that #1 on my list of "Why Older Kids Are Cool and Babies Are Overrated" is "Listening to Music With Older Kids."

"I love how they use violins and an orchestra and it's still a rock and roll song," Anna observed as we listened to the Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby."

"I do too," I said, kind of surprised that this came up on the way home from the grocery store.

"And the song is beautiful but it is also really sad."

"Yes. It's a pretty serious song," I said.

"I like these kinds of Beatles songs better - they sound different than their other songs - do you know what I mean?"

"I do know what you mean. And a lot of people noticed that. The Beatles really grew up and developed and their songs got more complicated and meaningful."

"Well, I like the songs like this better. Can we listen to that song again?" Anna asked as she reached forward to hit "back" on the CD player.

I nodded because I could not talk anymore.

It was easier when she was a baby and I could love her for being sweet and coo over such feats as rolling over and smiling and eating peas. It is much harder to love her when crashes through the house with her moods and her attitudes. There are days that I can't dress right, cook right, remember things right and I just seem to annoy her by my existence. And some days she and I ride down the road listening to music together and have a conversation and I feel the same overwhelming love that I felt when I cradled her in my arms and she nursed herself to sleep. I would do anything for this child who recognizes "Revolver" as a significant moment in rock history and asks me questions and listens to my opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home