Sunday, July 01, 2007

Goin' to Kansas City

We were going to spend Saturday afternoon by the pool. We specifically picked a hotel with an outdoor pool. Then we were going to head to the 7pm game.

Well. It rained all afternoon, so instead of sunning by the pool we found a sports bar and had some nachos and watched an arena football game. We felt as pathetic and sad as that all sounds.

We did run into George Brett and I leaned on his shoulder and he comforted me. He assured me that the game would be on and that I should finish up my beer, go buy a sweatshirt and pants (since all I packed was tank tops and shorts), and head to the game.



We got some warmer clothes at the Gap sale. We were going to take the shuttle to game so we checked the shuttle schedule and our tickets and that's when we realized that it was 5:30pm, and the game was at 6pm and not 7pm. We raced to the front desk and got directions for a back route to the stadium. We made it to the stadium in time for the National Anthem. I could not believe it. It rained through the first few innings. We were glad to have our KC Royals Cowboy Hats to keep the rain off.



It was a decent game though the Royals lost. I had a couple of beers served by another baseball icon.



Yes, that is who you think it is. It's Pete Rose. Pete Rose is the Miller Lite Beer Man at Kauffman Baseball Stadium.

We went out on Saturday night and had a really good martini in a really loud bar. Then we went back to the hotel and slept until we got up. It was lovely.

We hadn't had enough of baseball stars so we went to the Negro League Baseball Museum at 17th and Vine in Kansas City. I always wanted to go and meet Buck O'Neill, but he died recently. (If you've ever seen an interview with a Negro League player, it very well might have been Buck O'Neill. He had a charming personality and loved to tell stories. He was fundamental in starting the NLBM.) I did have a fun conversation with the guy at the end of the museum at the gift shop. He asked me if I had any questions.

"Yes, I do. Why isn't Buck O'Neill in the Baseball Hall of Fame and how do they count stats when you played in both leagues?"

I held up the line for a good 15 minutes talking the Politics of Cooperstown, which isn't really Cooperstown but those East Coast Sports Writers, I learned. And we had a good lesson in stats and qualifications for the Hall of Fame. Then I paid for my postcards and baseball, and we left.



This is, as the picture says, "The Great Satchel Paige." What a wind up.

1 Comments:

Blogger jtbirdwatcher said...

We got to the bottom of a box of wine and your names came up along with George Brett and Pete Rose. Dad knew Satchel Paige --who's Buck O'Neill? Sounds like you guys made a pity party into a celebration. :)

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home