Monday, February 18, 2008

Everyday Athletes

My running coach videotaped us yesterday afternoon. We met him over by his gym and he stood on the side of the bike path and he videotaped us running towards and away from him. In addition to runners he coaches triathletes and Adventure Runners - both of which really appeal to me - especially as I get older. In my head my athletic future continues with running until I am 40 and then I have decided to switch to triathalons. Chatting with the other Everyday Athletes waiting to get taped, I learned about Adventure Running - all the races are different and you work in teams - you might run and roller blade or run and canoe or run and climb walls - and I think that sounds pretty cool too.

I need more cross training, and I would like some new goals. My kids are older and can be left home or can come with me on a bike ride or play basketball while I swim. It's incredible to me to remember that at my first half marathon my son was still nursing. I have more time and freedom to exercise as they get older, that's what I am trying to say.

There was a strange series of events that led up to the taping yesterday. I was running late and had been running late to everything all weekend and knew that I needed gas, but I didn't have time to stop and get gas, so I tried to drive over to the gym and ran out of gas on the way. I coasted down a hill, turned a corner and parked my car, and then just locked it up and ran to the gym in time to get taped. I dealt with the gas problem after I was done.

That's how I found myself outside a bike shop thinking about triathalons. I was walking back from the gas station carrying my gas can when I went by the used bike store and looked at all the bikes outside the shop. There was one in particular that caught my eye and it appeared to be my size and in great shape. In my head, fresh from a conversation about triathalons, I thought about my need for a road bike so I can ride some serious miles if I want to. There was no price tag flapping in the wind like with the other bikes.

The bell on the door rang when I entered. Bikes, in various stages of repair, lay around the store. This was not a store with new and shiny bikes.

"Can I help you?" He was crouched over a bike on a stand, and he stood to talk to me. Our eyes were at the same level.

"Yeah, I was wondering about the Bianchi in front of the shop?"

"You have good taste. That's my bike." He grinned at me.

He talked to me about what I want and he assured me that he sees road bikes in his shop occasionally and he will keep his eyes open for me and joked that he'll know the bike will fit since we are the same size. It would be nice to have a good road bike by summer, but I'm in no hurry. I'm only 37. And that's way too young for triathalons. Ha! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home