Friday, February 22, 2008

Knock Knock

The younger kiddos were begging for a treat after some particularly good parent teacher conferences. So we stopped at the gift store and they picked out a lion and a duck to add to their Webkins collection (they're stuffed animals that have a virtual life too). The animals remind me of Beanie Babies, but the difference is the virutal life, I guess. We decided to get dogs for the teenaged girls and I wasn't sure how that would go over.

"A puggie wuggie!" Anna squealed.

"Awww!" Hannah said when she got her collie.

"They're kind of baby-ish," I said, "but you might find them kind of fun."

While I made dinner, the kids all registered their pets and made them all "friends" in their virtual world. The animals all have a virtual house and the kids decorated their rooms and gave them baths and fed them.

I listened to the news on the radio and picked meat off a chicken carcass. I made biscuits and then made chicken gravy with the broth from the carcass. Just as I began to worry about when Bill was going to get home, his car pulled into the driveway. I mixed the meat into the gravy and - tada! - we had chicken a la king.

"What's for dinner?" Frank asked cautiously as he looked at the unfamiliar meal.

"Knock, knock," I said.

"Who's there?"

"Chicken."

"Chicken who?"

"Chicken a la king!"

"Mom!"

"I know. It's silly. It was Aunt Kate's favorite joke when she was 4 years old."

"Really?" And I watched the incredulous faces of the kids as they thought about their aunt and their mom as little girls who told knock knock jokes.

That sparked everyone reciting their favorite joke around the dinner table. I wasn't sure if anyone would like dinner, but everyone had seconds and the vegetarian happily ate biscuits and spinach salad and giggled along with the rest of us. I forgot Kate's knock knock joke until last night when I pulled together a dinner out of a chicken carcass sitting in the frig. Some childhood memories are like that - they sit in your brain and come out when something triggers them.

There was a peacefulness and family feeling about last night that makes me hope that the kids remember it, and maybe they'll think of it some night when they make chicken a la king. I wonder what toys their kids will be playing with?

Knock Knock.
Who's there?
Duane.
Duane who?
Duane the tub, I'm drowning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home