Saturday, October 18, 2008

No Smoking

The theme of our quickly planned trip to Iowa was "Hotel Issues," which is a bad theme, particularly if you're trying to get some sleep and run a marathon.

We actually left the first hotel because our (no smoking) hotel room smelled so much of smoke that I knew that I could not sleep in there. We got there in the evening and went to the pasta feed, so it was kind of late. It was 8pm. They would not move us to another room, so we got a refund of our money, I found a hotel on Expedia, and we drove over there and checked in. (I think that they thought we would actually just stay in our smoky room, because who leaves a hotel at 8pm to go to another? That would be me.)

There was no smoky non smoking room at our next place, but there was a party going on in the next room. I tried to cut them a break for a short while. Bill and I unpacked, got our race stuff ready, and the banging and laughing and talking showed no signs of subsiding. It was 10pm and I decided enough was enough. I called the front desk, others on the floor had also called the front desk, and after two calls, the party ended (they were all asked to leave).

I slept really well, we got up and got to our respective shuttles (my race started after Bill's) and I had a nice run. It was beautiful and hilly. I was concerned about injury, since I hadn't trained, but I was spared. I think because I went so slow. Which was fine, I'll take a finish and no injury.

I finished shortly after 11 and I expected Bill around 11:30. I went back to the hotel, stopped at the desk for a late check out, and they said No! I was shocked. "No late check outs today," the clerk said grimly.

So instead of going back to watch Bill finish, I went up to the room to shower and pack. Bill walked into the room at 11:54.

"We have to check out!" I said.

"I know!" he said.

I gathered everything together and Bill jumped in the shower.

"Housekeeping!" said the woman knocking on the door.

"We have the room until noon!" I yelled back.

When I came out one minute later with bags, she said, "Are you all done?"

"No! My husband is getting dressed. We still have two minutes!"

Then I went down to check out and wait for Bill in the lobby.

We walked back to the race finish to eat free pizza and have a beer. It's a cute little downtown area.

Bill placed 18th overall, but still did not place in the top three in his age category. Middle aged men are fast.

I liked the race and I would do it again next year. I think I will train to run. And I think that I will do more research on hotels. And make sure that at the very least that we have a late check out.

We drove back to Lincoln and took Hannah out for her birthday - Greek food. Flaming cheese for an appetizer, lamb kebobs for Bill and me and veggie dolmades for Hannah. Coffee and pastries for dessert. Ooof. Good thing I ran 13.1 miles today.

Bill is on the porch enjoying a cigar. And then he'll come into the non-smoking house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home