Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Yogurt with Coffee on the Bottom

At my office we brew and drink Folgers. We have a coffee service and last year I learned that there are different tiers of service. One week we got the "nice" coffee by accident. The next week we were back to Folgers. I guess that's all the office will pay for.

Folgers reminds me of my parents. Who don't drink Folgers at all anymore. But they used to buy it by the can. I think everyone did.

Food has changed since I was a kid. Yogurt, whole wheat bread, and organic produce are all readily available. And somewhere along the way, "everyone" switched to bulk coffee or fancy named coffee and stopped buying Folgers by the can. Coffee beans available at the grocery store today are darker and richer and the flavor is amazing. (That's what the Folgers ads say, I know, but it's not true.)

At the time in my life when I was making stilts with coffee cans, I had the first blended yogurt of my life. Until that point, my only experience with yogurt was my mom's health food store yogurt which always came with the fruit on the bottom. And then Holly from next door came over with Yoplait one afternoon. We stood on the back porch and alternated spoonfuls of the perfectly blended strawberry yogurt. I can still feel the significance of that moment 30 years later. I knew that blended yogurt was going to change the world. Or at least the way people ate yogurt.

At the store on Sunday I bought a bag of organic, free trade coffee beans which are dark and gorgeous and fragrant. I bought lots of blended yogurt of various flavors and then some yogurt "treats" - greek yogurt with fig on the bottom for me - blended yogurt with stir in candy for the kids. The yogurt choices these days are staggering.

This morning I sit here drinking Folgers from my office coffee pot and marvel at food and food distribution. This coffee is not as good as the coffee that I brew at home. But I drink it anyway. Really, we will eat or drink whatever is available to us. And that becomes the new normal. When I start to wonder what kind of yogurt my grandkids will eat, I start to worry that I have had too much coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home