Friday, May 15, 2009

Close Your Eyes and Picture "Library"



This is what I see when I close my eyes and say the word "library."

I would like a satisfactory answer as to why I can remember the exact lay out of the Denver Public Library on Montview Boulevard.

I remember the doors and check out desk and the tall wooden shelves and the padded seats all around the outside of the room.

I remember the sense of excitement as I crossed the doorway into the adult section to get my parents for something. And I remember the enormity of information available in the periodicals department in the basement. (I was just there once with my parents who were looking at old newspapers for something and I was awed by the history maintained in that room.)

I also could tell you where the Fiction separated from the NonFiction in the Cherry County Book Mobile.

I recall afternoons at the Fremont Library with the spiral staircase and the mysterious "listening rooms" (with actual turntables! I wonder if those are still there with digital listening of some sort?).

I can describe the Omaha Library where Anna got her first library card and the Grand Island Library where Mary got hers, and the Lincoln Library where Frank got his.

But none, not any of them, are as vivid visually and emotionally as that little public library in Denver that I have not seen in 30 years. Why is that?

--

Updated to add that this library and I are psychically linked or something. IT IS BEING RENOVATED! I have been dreaming about this library lately. It's freaking me out. :-) I went online to find a picture and found out that the library is temporarily closed.

Branch Library Closures
On February 16, 2009 the Decker, Hampden and Park Hill Branch Libraries will close for a period of approximately four months while Better Denver Bond funded technology upgrades, infrastructure improvements and renovations are completed. All three branch libraries are scheduled to reopen between June 23 and June 30, 2009.

2 Comments:

Blogger Viewtiful_Justin said...

That's SOOOOO odd!

It's like you're kindred spirits with a building. Maybe you should visit...

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you miss the old Onaha library with the iron steps up to second and the glass block floor there ?
Talk about memories -

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home