Saturday, May 09, 2009

It's Like Mile High Stadium

The new name hasn't taken.

I was in Omaha today and as we cruised down Cass street, a street I am not usually on when I am in Omaha these days, I pointed out landmarks from my history in Omaha. The Playhouse, the back entrance to the Crossroads, and of course I started in on, "And there was a barbecue place here that your dad and Trevor and I used to go to dance at..." Anna idly paid attention.

"I can't believe they have the nerve to call it The Peony Park HyVee!" I suddenly exclaimed as I saw the sign.

"What's wrong with that? What's Peony Park?"

And that's when I start feeling like Uncle Remus.

"Come here youngun and I'll tell you about a magical amusement park with live music and rides and a pool with a sand beach..."

I told her about days at Peony Park with my cousin Maureen - riding the gondola through the trees and laying on the sand beach and riding the roller coaster and eating corn dogs. I told her about trips to Omaha in my friend Michele's VW Rabbit to go to Sprite Night and meet and dance with boys in the big city. I told her about the concerts I saw there - the Smithereens and the Replacements.

"Ooh!" Anna said. And, "That sounds nice."

I told her that my grandparents met at a dance at the ballroom there. And that it would be hard to find someone who grew up in or around Omaha that didn't have special memories of the place.

"I knew that they tore it down. And I knew that they put up a grocery store and I have heard people call it the Peony Park Hy Vee, but I did not know that was its actual name. I can't believe that is its actual name," I ranted.

"It's ok, mom," Anna assured me.

Sigh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Viewtiful_Justin said...

That seems unjust, somehow.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home