Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Fundraising

When I was in high school I qualified for Catholic Nationals and my coach, Fred Robertson, made sure that I got to go. (My parents had a lot to do with that, too, but this is about Fred.)

Fred coached speech and debate at Fremont High School for a lot of years. I was fortunate enough to be on his team the second year he coached debate. He is without a doubt, one of the best influences of my high school years. And he remains a voice in my head years and years later. He's that kind of teacher.

When we did practice debate rounds in those years we would go to his house in the weekday evenings where he would critique us in his basement. We would debate justice vs. individual freedom, or whatever, and Fred would give us feedback. The best part was afterwards when we would pump Fred for stories about the pictures on the wall in the basement - him with lots of race horses - he used to help train race horses. Fred would play record albums - our favorite was his Tammy Faye album.

Tonight I got a fundraising request from him for a student who qualified for Nationals in three events and there are some financial issues. Fred assured us that any money would not be bet on his nephew's horse who is running in the Kentucky Derby.

But then I thought, why not? Why not bet the money on the horse in the Kentucky Derby and send the money to Fred for his student? I mean, if you're gonna bet on a horse anyway, put a $20 on Win Willy and send Fred your winnings.

Fred Robertson, 2712 N. 96th Drive, Omaha, NE 68134

The horse is "Win Willy."

1 Comments:

Blogger Viewtiful_Justin said...

Hm. I love how that all comes around.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home