Sunday, March 21, 2010

Amen and Alleluia

The choir director and three women came out and warmed up the crowd. We clapped and swayed and sang along. Then the choir came out - resplendent in purple robes - and the congregation went crazy with singing and clapping. The minister didn't even appear until after fifteen minutes of singing and praying. His sermon did not disappoint. I was led through a reading of the King James version of the gospel and then the minister's version of the gospel. "How many times do I have to put up with his crap before I kick him in the tail?" The congregation laughed. We repeated his words and he had us talk to our neighbors and we gave him an "Amen" when he asked for it.

I was surprised to see Bill standing on the end of my pew. "We need to go," he whispered. I gathered my things and followed him out. That's when I learned that I had been in church for two hours.

Bill and Joe spent the morning in Hyde Park while I was in church, but we needed to meet Amanda downtown for tea, so it was time to go.

"Come back next week!" the ushers called after us as we left.

Amen and Alleluia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home