Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Buddha in the Attic

This is the best example of an entire work of fiction written in first person plural that I have ever read.  (I don't think I have ever read anything in first person plural except examples of what it is in the first place.)  It tells the incredibly moving story of Japanese women who immigrated before WWII and made their homes in America with their Japanese husbands.  The final chapters are first person plural from the point of view of the white neighbors after the Japanese were sent to internment camps.

The point of view made the novel laborious at times and I wished for one character that I could relate to, but of course I related to all of the slices of life that I read and it was intended to be a group, not an individual.  The Japanese Internment did not happen to one person.  It happened to a whole community.  I love, love, love when authors play with point of view as a specific way to tell a story.  This was brilliant in that way.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home