Friday, February 02, 2007

Girl Scout Sisters

"Ok, so we have Don't Put Your Fingers in Electrical Outlets and Don't Play with Matches. What are some other ideas for safety posters?" I asked the group of Girl Scouts.

They sat cross legged in front of me waving their little hands.

"Yes?" I said to the odd child in the group. Neglected and in foster care with a foster mom that seems strangely detached.

"I know more about my friends than I do my own sister," she said.

My hand paused over the chalk board. What the hell do I say in response to that? I drew upon all of my group facilitation skills and came up empty.

"Kind of off topic, but ok," said the girl next to her, and then she sidled over to put her arm around her.

"We're kind of your sisters. We're your Girl Scout Sisters!" said another.

And before I knew it there was a pile of 10 year olds on the floor in front of me as they hugged their Girl Scout Sister.

Grown ups think they know so much more than kids. Go lead a Girl Scout Meeting of 4th graders. They'll set you right. Because I wish that the grown ups I deal with were half as smart and compassionate as these girls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home