Thursday, February 15, 2007

Watermelon and Swimming

"What are you giving up for Lent, mom?" asked Anna.

"I don't know," I said, a bit surprised by the question. We were driving home from CCD over the icy roads.

"We learned about Lent tonight and what it means and I want to give something up besides meat on Fridays."

"Your Grandma used to give up candy for Lent," I said.

"Really?!" Anna said, imagining a world without candy.

"I used to just give up chocolate. That way I could still have candy, just no chocolate."

"Chocolate is the only candy I can eat with my braces," Anna said reflectively. "I think I can do that."

"Maybe I'll give up Diet Coke," I said.

"No way you can do that!" Anna said.

"If you give up chocolate for Lent then I will give up Diet Coke."

"It's a deal!" she said. "Mary? What are you giving up for Lent?"

"Onions. Onions and latkes," she said without hesitation.

"Onions and latkes?! You don't even like those! And nobody gives up latkes for Lent."

Mary smiled serenely and looked out the car window.

I remembered CCD in the frozen Sandhills in a ranch house living room with Father Mike having us pray the Hail Mary until I thought I would fall asleep and then he spent the rest of the time telling us his WWII war stories. We did talk about Lenten sacrifice at least once, because I remember him teasing us about giving up watermelon and swimming for Lent. Giving up onions and latkes makes as much sense as anything, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home