Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Red Rhinos

In March 2003 I took a road trip with my kids. We meandered South and went to Archer, Texas (home of The Last Picture Show) on our way to Lubbock. (It's not really on the way, but it's close enough.) I've been thinking about that trip.

I brought lots of black and white film with me for my trip. After I got here I realized that only color film should be allowed in West Texas in the Spring. Spring is the only season that Texas is traditionally beautiful. The colors are so intense they look unreal. At one point, as I was driving between Archer City and Lubbock, I gasped at the enormity of the sky. We were surrounded by bright green on the ground. I could see for miles. The grass seemed to just end miles away as it touched the sky. The sky was a brilliant blue half circle. I felt like if I could just reach high enough I could touch the top of the sky. It was as if I was trapped inside a snow globe, but instead of a winter scene it was spring. Nothing but green grass, blue sky, a few cows, and my little car on a little highway.

It is disconcerting to travel and recognize the sameness. There are McDonalds everywhere. The cars look the same. People dress the same. But I think that Interstates and cities are deceptive. I got gas in Wichita Falls TX and I realized that I was the only person driving a car. You stop noticing the people in boots, because everyone is in boots. And when you get your biscuit at McDonalds, at least you are told, "Have a nice day," with an accent.

We traveled through Wichita, Kansas and then through Oklahoma City and Lawton Oklahoma. There are rolling hills and shockingly red earth. My daughter studied the Black Rhinoceros at the Oklahoma City Zoo and finally asked me, "Why is it called a Black Rhinoceros if it is Red?" Looking at him, I realized that he had gotten wet and then rolled in the red dirt of Oklahoma.


Things are not always what they seem.

I am feeling the need to get out of town with my kids - hit the open road and find a red rhinoceros. I need to discover a snow globe of Spring.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jodi Anderson said...

While reading this and enjoying it, two thoughts came to mind:

Did you know that I used to live in Wichita? TO23 and I lived there for two years when we were first married.

Also, as I read this, I thought about No Country for Old Men. Although I've never been to Texas, certainly not in 1980 or so, I felt that that film perfectly captured the time period then and probably how some of it is still. Did you feel that the movie captured Texas during that time period, or even as it is now? So much beauty and nostalgia in just the scenery, dress, and people.

xoxo

5:45 PM  
Blogger Jodi Anderson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Viewtiful_Justin said...

And I need to accompany you...or at least see the photos.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Lori "The Soil Whisperer" Guenter said...

Ah Texas. You bring back such wonderful memories. Hubby and I honeymooned in Texas about 5 years after we married. It was the most wonderful time of my whole life. It was my very first plane ride. I could live at the Riverwalk.

I wish I had never left San Antonio or Austin. But then I wouldn't be reading your description of your trip.

*note to self: plan trip to Texas.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home