Sunday, May 17, 2009

Knight Vader

I took the kids to the Ren Faire this weekend and we had a great time. One of their favorite activities was looking at the armour that the SCA folks use for their battle reenactments.



My nephew Nick, who was not so sure about going somewhere with his Crazy Aunt Lea, was even less sure about the whole Ren Faire Thing, had an interesting experience. He's obsessed with Star Wars. Super, super, super obsessed. And he thinks he knows everything about Star Wars. He got to try on some armour at the Ren Faire and he observed that it was similar to Darth Vader's armour. He learned about the weight and awkwardness of armour and he made the connection between the armour and George Lucas' character. I could not help but wonder if George Lucas had the same sort of experience we had. It is one thing to look at pictures of a gauntlet. It is another experience to put it on.




So the connection between George Lucas and my nephew and the knights of long ago became clear to me that afternoon.



A little clearer than Mary could see out of this helmet.

2 Comments:

Blogger Viewtiful_Justin said...

It looks like y'all had a great time!

I've never been to a ren faire, although the boy and I have been talking about it recently.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Lori "The Soil Whisperer" Guenter said...

That's a great shot of Mary.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home