Monday, July 20, 2009

One(?) Small (?) Step



None of my kids want to be astronauts (I asked each of them today - Mary actually rolled her eyes.). That fits the national statistics these days.

Bill is the only person in my house of eight people that remembers man landing on the moon. He was a little boy. His grandpa took pictures of the black and white tv screen as the astronauts landed on the moon. (My parents told me about watching the moon landing, but I wasn't even born yet.)

We had lentils and cake to celebrate the anniversary. How about you? What did you think about today and what did you think about then?

Me? I am thinking that I want those black and white snapshots of a tv screen. And? I am thinking that the cake was yummy and Mary did a good job with the craters.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bet it was cheese cake. Poppy

8:23 AM  
Blogger Viewtiful_Justin said...

The cake looks delicious! I hope you got my postcard!

6:19 AM  
Blogger Lori "The Soil Whisperer" Guenter said...

I am old enough to remember the moon landing, but only just. I remember my father dragging me out of my bed and away from the dreams that 6-year olds have. I remember watching the grainy pictures and him telling me that we were watching history being made. I remember sitting on the floor in the nightgown my grandmother made me and wondering if they would bring back some of that green cheese and if it would be ok to eat. And for some reason, I remember thinking about dinosaurs.

I was 6.

To celebrate, I lit candles and incense risking the rath of MIL. I watched the re-broadcast of the original broadcast. I thought about the moon and what it would be like to go to space.

I also decided that I would go in a heartbeat if they would just let me.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home