Thursday, May 21, 2009

Destination Imagination

I think if I did not have a cold, the silliness would not annoy me. I am just going to say this here, silliness is not creativity. It can be part of it, but it is not in and of itself creative.

Mary and I are in Tennessee at Global Finals for DI. I did not imagine that I would be here when I signed the permission slip nine months ago. It seemed like a good activity for a kid that is not interested in doing many activities. Her team won Districts and then they won State and we found ourselves planning to come to Knoxville, TN.

The thing about kid activities is that they involve parents. And just as my kids told me, just because you're friends with the parent doesn't mean I want to be friends with the kid, the same applies in the reverse. Just because this is Mary's team doesn't mean that I want to hang out with the team parents, but the reality is, that is what happens. I am glad to say that I like hanging out with them and think they're pretty cool.

I feel fortunate that the team manager sets the tone for the rest of us. No light up hats and goofy stuff. I appreciate that. He genuinely embraces the true spirit of DI in my opinion, which is to encourage kids to problem solve and be creative. That doesn't mean that you have to dye your moustache a silly color.

That said, it just so happens that my hair is in part blue right now. I dyed the tips on a whim a week or so ago. It accomplished what I wanted - lifted my mood and made me feel edgy and fun even when I otherwise was frankly pretty depressed. It amuses me that my hair sort of blends in here and looks like I am just being wacky and creative. Not so much.

The kids do their instant challenge this morning. Tomorrow they perform and test their structure.

Wish us all well. :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Viewtiful_Justin said...

Be well! Good luck!

And...I want to see that hair.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home