Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Context

Frank and I were listening to Hillary Clinton talking about the Greek financial crisis on the radio.

"Is Hillary Clinton related to President Clinton?" he asked.

I paused as I felt the gap in his knowledge - knowing who both President Clinton and Secretary of State Clinton are, but not knowing their connection.

"They're married," I said.

"Oh," he said. "That makes sense." And then he put his plate in the sink and went to get his backpack.

I wonder sometimes about gaps like these and what other gaps there are in his knowledge.

Anna once thought that William Shatner was a singer and was surprised to learn that he was also an actor. Claire once expressed surprise that Yoko Ono's husband was also a musician and singer.

Parenting is serious hands on stuff. You have to be alert at all times to fill in the gaps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home