Saturday, February 18, 2012

Lost Memory of Skin - book review

An empathetic sex offender. Yes. Really.

I enjoyed this book a great deal. The characters are beautifully written - very visual. And they are portrayed as lovable human beings. There are some serious issues discussed here in a way that really makes you think about our contradictory messages about sex. One of the best examples of this was a Gap Kids commercial filmed on the beach - half-naked children sensually moving in fog while adults film them and their parents stand on the set watching. As a society we are weird and getting weirder.

On a personal level it reminds me of my clients that I meet that are unable to stay at the shelter due to their sex offender status (there is a huge range of what this means) or their pets (I would say pets and alcohol - both banned from the shelter - are the main reasons my clients live under the bridge or in their van).

We all do idiotic things and make stupid choices. Some of us get caught and have to wear ankle monitors and live under a bridge.

This was the first Russell Banks novel I have read. I am going to look for more.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home