Sunday, March 16, 2008

Fire Makes Everything Better

I love my kids and as they get older I am aware that I like them as people, not just because they're my kids.

I took them to the circus tonight. They were the perfect people to take to the circus. I think there is concern that this generation is jaded against excitement and violence. But I have to say that the circus can change your view on that.

When the lights went out, there was a gasp. Then the live orchestra started up and the spotlights shone on the disco ball at the ceiling which made dancing spots of lights all over the three rings.

"How do they do that?!" whispered Frank next to me.

We love this stuff. We see all the acts at the State Fair. In retrospect, I can't believe that this is the first circus we have gone to, but it was nice that they were older and were a good audience. We cheered and applauded and gasped. The kids were impressed with the jugglers with the fire batons and the gauchos with the fire ropes and the tigers jumping through rings of fire. But we also like tumblers and swingers and trapeze artists and elephants balancing on balls. We loved the steel cage of motorcyclists - three motorcycles and someone standing in the middle. We clapped and clapped and clapped at the end.

On the way to the car we argued about what was the best act and teased Anna about volunteering her to stand in the steel ball while the motorcycles whizzed around her.

"It's not like it's on fire, Anna," Mary teased.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home