Thursday, September 10, 2009

Earthen Vessels

I have been playing the guitar again in the evenings. Mostly I play old Bob Dylan and John Lennon solo stuff. It's very acoustic guitar friendly. It's also stuff that I feel comfortable singing along with. As much as I love music and guitar, I am not much of a singer.

My latest acquisition is a guitar/songbook of "Earthen Vessels." If you're my age or older and Catholic, you'll remember the songs. They are as much a part of my childhood and deep memory as any other song from the 70s and 80s. They are gentle and easy sounding - easy to play on the guitar and sing along.

I was in the Lincoln Diocese thrift store when the conversation ahead of me sparked my interest in owning some classic-to-me church music.

"I don't go to my parish church, I go to St. Mary's because they have an organ and a choir," the woman said (she and I go to the same church - but it is my parish church).

"Oh, I prefer the old music, too," the man said. "I don't like Guitar Masses," he continued. He turned and smiled at me, "Does that mean that I am going to Hell?"

There was a huge pause as I struggled with what I wanted to say. I finally broke my silence and smiled.

"I think that people should feel welcome and happy at church and that there are lots of different kinds of music that can make you feel that way. I miss the St. Louis Jesuit music," I said.

The man pursed his lips and furrowed his brow as if I had somehow insulted him.

I went home and did some google searching and learned how hard it is to get what I wanted. I remember sheets of mimeographed chords and lyrics being exchanged between guitar players in the basement of the Blessed Sacrament Church in Denver. What happened to all those mimeographed sheets?

I found a used copy of "Earthen Vessels" and I could not be happier. It is the music I love and the guitar is as simple or complex as you are able. I did not expect the gentle and helpful instructions about tuning and strumming - what an added bonus.

So at night I sit in my room and play old St Louis Jesuits tunes because at my church we have an organ and songs that I have difficulty singing along with. Does that mean I am going to Hell?

Good grief. What an idiot.

1 Comments:

Blogger Viewtiful_Justin said...

Yup. I agree with you on that one.

Churchfolk are the easiest folk to offend. I only know because I used to be one...and I still go to church, but I am decidedly not "churchfolk." And maybe that's a shame for the church...

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home