Thursday, September 03, 2009

Index Cards

I read recipe books for entertainment. I collect them. I check them out of the library.

Sometimes I even cook out of them.

I do have cookbooks that I use almost weekly. I could not do without the original Moosewood cookbook. I have lots of Moosewood books, but I use the original one the most. If I buy or find a Cookling Light, I make whatever is on the cover. Kebobs, cake, corn, it doesn't matter. If it is the cover picture, I make it. I blame/thank the food photographers at Cooking Light. I love cooking magazines and I have piles of them. I recently sorted them out and I am trying to decide what to do with them. I think I will flip through them and see if there is something I can't bear to pass on, but I will send the others to the Goodwill. I love the Self Magazine recipes that I get in my email. I also get Kraft foods recipes. And there is always the newspaper food section and the cooking blogs that I read and suggestions from my friends. I am frequently inspired by literature and so I will go looking for food like the meals my characters eat. There are not enough meals for me to make everything that I want to make.

I have read the average American family rotates a dinner menu of very few offerings. We have our base meals too - homemade pizza with pesto, spaghetti and red sauce, black beans and rice, and baked salmon with rice are probably our main meals. Around those I plan whatever I read about/bought/heard about/got a hankerin' for.

I trashed the idea of the USDA meal plan after I read the menu. Blech. White rice and white bread and juice instead of actual fruit. Not for me. I found a couple of other low income menu suggestions, and found one that I love. I am glad that I got past the title.

This blogger has a $40 menu. I went with the $70 menu because I found it more "lunch outside the home" friendly. I spent more than $70, but I bought whole wheat flour and brown rice and coffee instead of tea and butter instead of margarine. What I like most about these recipes I realized is the bread recipes. They are REALLY good and easy to make. My family LOVES bread.

I also realized that while I like to try all different kinds of main dishes, I really could use some perfect bread recipes. I already have my pizza dough recipe which I perfected a couple of years ago. I realized that her whole wheat bread, flour tortilla, corn muffins, pancakes, garlic breadsticks and biscuits would make great additions to that. I like the idea of having a pancake recipe on an index card by the stove so I don't need to look it up everytime I want to make the kids pancakes. So I am going to copy them to index cards and keep them in the clip by the stove. I have never had a working recipe box. How could you possibly fit your recipes in a little box? I have always wondered. But basic bread recipes! That makes sense to me.

About the Hillbilly Housewife...I really am following her meals and they really are delicious. My children, who were leary of a week without Toaster Streudel, have been very happy with warm biscuits and muffins and pancakes in the morning.

1 Comments:

Blogger Viewtiful_Justin said...

Yum! Still craving great homemade bread. We may have to break out the bread machine (I know...I know...but it's all we know).

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home